This casserole can be made up to a day ahead, keep covered in the fridge.
BLACK-EYED BEAN CASSEROLE
- 425 gms Black-eyed Beans (Canned)
- 425 gms Tomatoes – peeled (Canned)
- 1 Medium Red Onion (chopped)
- 1 glove garlic (crushed)
- 125 ml Tomato Paste
- 1 Green Pepper (Chopped)
- 750 ml Water
- 125 ml Fresh Parsley (chopped)
- 65 ml Fresh Basil (chopped)
- 500 gms Flesh Flat Mushrooms (sliced)
- 310 gms Corn Kernel (Canned)
- In a large saucepan, heat the red onion and garlic with some olive oil until onion is soft.
- Add Beans, undrained crushed tomatoes, tomato paste , pepper and water. Bring to the boil, reduce heat and cover.
Let simmer for 1 hour, stirring occasionally – till the beans are tender.
- Add Parsley, Basil Corn and Mushrooms, mix well and simmer for a further 15 minutes.